Prepare your business for an emergency
You need to be aware of how an emergency could effect the survival of your business.
A good emergency plan will cover both a business continuity plan and a risk assessment. For information on how to prepare your business for an emergency go to the Australian Department of Business website.
Persons conducting a business or undertaking in the NT must ensure that an emergency plan is prepared for the workplace, including for workers who may work at multiple workplaces. Visit NT Worksafe for information on business emergency plans.
Download a copy of NT Worksafe emergency plan checklist for businesses .
Get your business cyclone ready
A few tips to help get your business cyclone ready:
- compile an up to date contact list for your employees, suppliers and products
- provide your after hours contact details for the Police register. You can update you details via the business proprietors after hours contacts form at the Police Fire and Emergency Services website
- make sure you have copies of your insurance policy, financial and banking or any other important documents saved on a memory stick or external drive that can be quickly and easily retrieved
- have an emergency kit prepared complete with a first aid kit, first aid manual, battery powered radio, torch and spare batteries and a waterproof bag for valuables
- check your property and infrastructure and ensure your business is secure
- regularly back up data onto USB memory sticks and external drives.
- have a spare set of keys and security codes in place.
Please see more information about preparing your business for a cyclone