Who to contact after a fire or disaster

You should call the people listed below to let them know what has happened after a disaster as they can help you through some of the steps you need to take:

  • family and friends
  • your insurance company
  • your bank and mortgage company
  • your employer
  • your child’s school
  • post office
  • electricity supplier
  • local council
  • gas supplier.

If you are a tenant

If you are a tenant contact your landlord as soon as possible after a disaster.

If you are a public housing tenant you should contact your local housing office.

Get contact details for your local housing office on the Northern Territory Government website.

If you are insured

If you are insured, call your insurance company after a disaster. You may be covered for emergency accommodation through your policy.

Find out what you need to do, such as secure the house and make a list of damaged items.

Don’t throw away any damaged items in case they need to be assessed.

Talk to your insurance company before arranging any repairs.

Insurance Council information on claims process and advice

When considering an insurance claim as a result of damage caused by Cyclone Marcus, please consult your insurer or for general information see Post disaster insurance claims PDF (1.5 MB) or call the Insurance Council of Australia on 1800 734 621.

If you don’t have insurance

Depending on the seriousness of the damage, it may take some time to get back on your feet.

If you need help, you can get in touch with the following organisations using the contact details on their websites:

Government agencies providing assistance

Northern Territory Police, Fire and Emergency Services Immediate counter-disaster relief operation 131 444
Power and Water Corporation Maintenance and repair of utility infrastructure 1800 245 09

Find other NT Government Agencies

Back to top