TC Marcus Frequently Asked Questions

When will garden/ green waste be removed from my verge?

City of Darwin

Green waste that has been placed on verges during the clean-up will be collected by Council when other emergency priorities have been dealt with. Once the roads are safe, people are encouraged to take their own green waste to Shoal Bay Waste Management Facility. Council has waived fees for domestic green waste disposal at the Shoal Bay Waste Management Facility for volunteer-driven vehicles and light trucks up to and including 4.5 tonnes (gross vehicle mass) up to Easter Monday 2 April. City of Darwin may be able to offer you a refund if you’ve paid a fee for green waste disposal whilst volunteering your services post Cyclone Marcus, contact the Waste and Recycling Team Leader on 08 8930 0401.

City of Palmerston

Archer Recycling Centre & Waste Transfer Station is open but experiencing significant delays. As such, Council is collecting kerbside green waste. Please place green waste safely on your kerb, ensuring footpaths are clear, driveways are not blocked and no material is on the road.

Litchfield Shire Council

All three waste transfer stations are operating as per normal and have plenty of room for green waste. The fee for residents has been waived for two weeks to support community clean up. Local commercial green waste is fee free also. Litchfield Council does not operate a kerb side collection.

What do I do if I see fallen powerlines?

Safety is paramount – you must treat any fallen powerline as live and dangerous. Stay away from any fallen lines and be aware of the possibility of lines caught in or under fallen trees.

Call Power and Water to report a dangerous situation on 1800 245 090.

Who will assist removing large fallen trees from my property?

If trees from parkland or verges have fallen on your property please contact your local council for assistance.

If trees not from parkland or verges have fallen on your property and are blocking access to your residence, contact Northern Territory Emergency Services on 132 500.

Where can I go for assistance?

A Recovery Assistance Hotline has been established and can be accessed by calling 1800 700 250 (select option 4). The Hotline will operate from 8am to 8pm each day.

Five Welfare Recovery Centres have been established to assist people to complete paperwork for financial assistance and seek other welfare support information. Welfare Recovery Centre locations:

  • Darwin – Darwin Library, Civic Centre, Harry Chan Avenue
  • Casuarina – Casuarina Library, 17 Bradshaw Terrace
  • Anula – Salvation Army centre, Corner of Lee Point Road and Yanyula Drive
  • Coolalinga – Coolalinga Central, 445 Stuart Highway
  • Batchelor – Rum Jungle Tavern, 5 Nurndina Street

For opening hours, go to SecureNT .

How can I access financial assistance?

$250 Immediate Relief Payment is available to households who have been without mains power for more than 72 hours. This payment is not means tested.

To access relief payments, you must complete and submit an Immediate Relief Payment form at one of the Welfare Recovery Centres. You can download the form here (84.0 kb) and complete it before your arrive at the Centre.

The form will still need to be assessed at the Centre, along with documentation including proof of identity, a recent Power and Water or Jacana bill and your banking details to enable the processing of the payment. Proof of identity can be either a drivers licence, Proof of Age Card or passport.

If you are unable to produce a recent Power and Water or Jacana bill this will slow down the verification process and may extend the transfer period for the funds. If you cannot provide a Power and Water or Jacana bill, the Welfare Recovery staff will work with you to determine your power supply interruption and eligibility.

Other forms of financial assistance are available to eligible households including:

  • Replacement household goods
  • Emergency Accommodation Allowance
  • Structural Assistance Payment

These types of assistance are all means tested. You can discuss your eligibility at a Welfare Recovery Centre.

What if I can’t get to a Welfare Recovery Centres?

If you are unable to attend a Welfare Recovery Centre please call the Relief Assistance Hotline on 1800 700 25401 (select option 4)

Further information

For more information go to the SecureNT Website or Facebook.

Related documents

TC Marcus FAQs (56.7 kb)

TC Marcus FAQs (401.7 kb)

Recovery Financial Assistance Application (84.0 kb)

Recovery Financial Assistance Application (164.9 kb)