You may be told to leave your home by local authorities or decide to leave due to a flood.
If you do evacuate, tell police or emergency service workers and your neighbours.
You should leave early rather than wait for water to rise eg - leave before the water is near your door step.
Before you leave you should:
- empty freezers and refrigerators and leave their doors open - or they may float and cause damage
- collect and secure your personal valuables including important papers, money and photos
- turn off the power, gas, and water
- pack your emergency kit
- place a sandbag over low drains and in the toilet to prevent back-flow of sewage into your home
- contact your insurance company, if you have one
- secure the property.