How to get a permit to burn

Find out when and where you need a permit to light a fire in the Northern Territory (NT).

When you need a permit

You must have a permit to light a fire in the following NT fire protection zones:

The only exception is for a cooking fire, provided you have a clear area 4m around the fire, it is always attended and it is thoroughly extinguished before you leave.

When conditions are safe, landowners outside of fire protection zones can use a fire to reduce fuel loads or create firebreaks, providing they can control the fire.

Penalty for not having a permit

If you light a fire without a permit in a fire protection zone you may be fined up to 500 penalty units or imprisoned for up to five years.

Link to NT penalty units

How to get a permit

In towns and built-up areas you can get a permit from the NT Fire and Rescue Service. Read more about permits to burn on the Police, Fire and Emergency Services website.

In rural fire protection zones you can get a permit from your local volunteer bushfire brigade or fire warden.

Changes to regular permit conditions

During bushfire season, further restrictions may apply to permits.

Back to top